Completed, completed, started, started.

Turns out the last two weeks have been fairly productive for me.  I finished a few things and got started on another.

The art box is finished.  I got the correct satin varnish from the paint store.  It looks good and I’ll use this mixture on the next few projects before I pass final judgement.  The pine did darken a little; more like highlight the natural gold color.  No need to post a picture, you can just imagine it.

IMG_3603[1]

Next, I ordered the Moxon hardware from Tools for Working Wood (link).  I went looking for some 8/4 stock on Monday but came up empty-handed.  So, to the Interents to see what I can find and I got a sweet deal.  I’ll share when it arrives.

As mentioned in my Attention Project Disorder post, I have several amp cabs to build.  I finally finished one.  The construction is fairly straightforward; finger joints, 3/8″ round-over for the corners, and battens on the inside.  I previously built a speaker cabinet (before I had any tools) so while this is technically my second one, it has been 3 years.  I’m pulling a mulligan and saying this cab is my “second first attempt”.  Overall I’m pleased with it and the tolex covering turned out okay, mostly.

What makes these cabs a little tricky (for me) is accounting for the thickness of the tolex on eight different sides (the four interior sides of the cab and the four sides of the front and back pieces).  The front and back panels are also set back from the edges; which has to be accounted for as well.  Let’s look at some pictures.

IMG_3598[1]
The rear view.
 Here’s the cab with all the cleats installed.  I have T-nuts installed for the back panel since it will come off to change out tubes and service the amp.  The front will be attached by wood screws.  T-nuts and I have a complicated relationship.  In theory they are wonderful but the reality of them leaves me wanting.  However, this amp is a prototype that still needs some tinkering so they’ll have to do for now.

The front and rear panels are next.  Both required sections cut out for various controls and input/output/power connections.

IMG_3553[1]
The front.
The front inside is rounded over as well.  Over on the left you can see where I goofed a little with my router.  I filled in the “feature” with some putty and sanded it smooth.  You can’t see it once the tolex went on.

IMG_3554[1]
The back.
Next was the back.  It was not rounded over (no particular reason) but after making it something occurred to me.  This amp is powered by vacuum tubes (or valves, for those across the pond) and they get hot so an air vent might be prudent.  At first I was going to cut out an oval and round it over.  I drew a few out but never really got anything I liked so I opted for something different.

IMG_3555[1]
Mr. bandsaw was useful in cutting the top.

On to the upholstery.

The industry standard color for guitar amps is black.  I choose two different colors; orange for the outside and cream for the front and back panels.

IMG_3599[1]

Here’s the front panel done; rinse and repeat for the rear panel and the cabinet.

IMG_3600[1]
This is a crummy picture.
Here’s the final product.  All this was done Saturday and very early Sunday since I wanted to play it that morning.  There’s still a little cleanup left and I may add some metal corners.

While I was waiting for the glue to dry I tried my hand at resawing.  Overall it went well.  I made a fence from MDF and clamped it to my band saw table then went for it.  Resawing wasn’t nearly as scary as I thought.  Only six more pieces and I can start my next project.

IMG_3541[1]

Until next time, have a good one.

Eat a peach,

Jonathan

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s