Ants marching

Things have settled down enough to where I could get back in the garage to start some new projects.  After finishing the amp cabinet, the place was a little messy.

IMG_3601[1]
This is about how things look after every project.
I started with cleaning up.  The router and electric drill were put back in their respective boxes along with screw bits.  I reorganized the drawer where I keep all my hand planes so there is a specific spot for each tool.  That should have been done months ago.

IMG_3602[1]
That’s a little better.

I installed a new blade on my bandsaw last week and it has made such a difference.  The plan was to resaw the cherry in the above picture and let it sit for a day then knock out this little project.

IMG_3609[1]

Once I got my fence installed and the cherry marked out I went to the bandsaw.  Within 2 seconds the blade jumped off the wheels.  I looked at my piece of wood and nothing seemed amiss.  The covers came off and I started playing with the blade tension and tilt of the top wheel.  I got the blade tracking again, put the covers back on; ready for a second attempt.  Same piece of wood, exact same thing happened.  Crap.

Repeated the entire process but got a different piece of cherry.  And the blade jumped again.  I was about 45 minutes in at this point and was getting a little frustrated.  Michael C. Fortune has a couple of bandsaw set-up videos over at Fine Woodworking.  I watched them a year or so ago to set up my saw.  Guess I need to watch them again.  Let’s move on.

If you look at my “clean bench” picture you’ll notice some pieces of pine I’ve been saving.  I need to make a small box with drawers to contain all my soldering tools.  As I’ve bought different boards of pine the “good” off cuts have been stuck under there for later use.

I set aside three pieces (bottom, left, right sides) and had them marked out.  Problem is, they were all cupped now in a bad way.

I set about flattening a side piece and after about 30 minutes or so I had a pile of shavings, a 3/4″ thick board reduced to less than 1/2″, and it still had a cup.

IMG_3610[1]
A mess and 2 hours later.

Further inspection of the rest of the pine revealed they were all severely cupped.  I also have two planks set aside for a speaker cabinet.  Yeah, those are cupped to the point of not being usable as well.

Okay, I get it.  Time to call it a night.  I went and consulted with Mr. Elijah Craig and we contemplated my next move.  Let’s try again tomorrow.

Until next time, have a good one.

Eat a peach,

Jonathan

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s