A different kind of tool showed up on Saturday. It arrived courtesy of Ed Lebetkin who runs the tool shop above The Woodwright’s School.
I’ve been trying to find a side bead moulding plane in either 1/8″ or 3/16″ for some time. Finally, I found one through Ed and so far I really like this little plane.
This is (hopefully) the final tool for the Dutch tool chest and something I have been wanting to try for a while. Initially I was wondering what the big deal was with cutting a small bead. To my eye the bead adds a little touch of interest. I think my work just got a lot classier.
Now I just need to figure out how to sharpen the blade.
I did not get much done this weekend. During my lunch break I milled down the art box pieces to final thickness with the help of my planer and no. 4.
I am going back and forth on whether to use dovetails or cut nails. I’ll do a couple of test dovetails tonight and let that be the deciding factor. The plan is to finish this over the next couple of days. I am tired of looking at the pieces so it’s time.
Also, looks like the lumber predictions I made in my last post are all completely off. The pretty walnut piece is too jacked up to resaw and still have around 1/2″ pieces, so it’s out. As of now I don’t have any wood for the small mystery project. The cherry I had earmarked for the Shaker bench is not looking like a good idea. I may move the cherry to the mystery project and see what lumber I can drum up for the bench.
Also, I think I may have found some Eastern pine for the DTC for dirt cheap. If this works out I will probably order enough for the tool chest and a 6 board chest. That should be sussed out in the next week or so.
Less than 500 words, that has to be a first.
Until next time, have a good one.
Eat a peach,